How will humans die out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will humans die out

This is just for fun. Rank these options in likelihood, or write a fictional answer for the one you like best.

1) we will exist for billions of years, travel to see other galaxies, and will die out due to some universe-wide event (or most people will die from an option below, but the last few people to live will die outside the galaxy)

2) we will die out due to some galaxy or solar system-wide event (for example, sun starts to become a red giant in several billion years, or we hit the Andromeda galaxy)

3) Earth will become inhospitable, and we won’t be able to coordinate to stop it or leave (doesn’t have to be current climate change - maybe we make it through the next 100 years but then something in 5000 years happens)

4) We destroy modern society through wars, regress to an agrarian life, and slowly die off due to natural disasters, disease, battles and other common threats

5) Pyscho individual or group just kills everyone

6) we get pared down to a very small group of people, and over time, perhaps due to pressures from one of the above options, our population grows back but we evolve into a very different species

7) we use technology to live in virtual reality or transfer our memories / consciousness to computers, and stop having kids (or other pressures from technology)

8) other

Long and short answers are both appreciated!

Re: How will humans die out

“Just for fun” vs “let’s plan to live for a billion years and travel to meet aliens, but actually”

Comment

I think 5 but maybe not on purpose

Comment

I realistically think it will be a combination of 3/4 and 2. I put 3 and 4 together because I think climate change will render the Earth uninhabitable which will make resources extremely scarce, causing modern society to break down. Rich people will leave Earth and colonize a new planet. So for humans to truly end the rich people will probably die from some galactic event, that would have killed everyone on Earth anyway.

My theory lol
        All hail the king.

Comment

Originally posted by Pookie View Post
          I think 5 but maybe not on purpose
          Like, someone will accidentally launch a bomb or spread a disease?
          Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
          I realistically think it will be a combination of 3/4 and 2. I put 3 and 4 together because I think climate change will render the Earth uninhabitable which will make resources extremely scarce, causing modern society to break down. Rich people will leave Earth and colonize a new planet. So for humans to truly end the rich people will probably die from some galactic event, that would have killed everyone on Earth anyway.

My theory lol
          Do you think climate change in the next 100 years, or far away climate change? Will people revolt against governments etc? Would you move to a space colony?

Comment

Originally posted by caiomn View Post
            Like, someone will accidentally launch a bomb or spread a disease?
            ?
            Disease I think we could overcome, idiots or crazy people with access to weapons of mass destruction maybe not

Comment

Originally posted by caiomn View Post

Do you think climate change in the next 100 years, or far away climate change? Will people revolt against governments etc? Would you move to a space colony?
              Resources will start becoming scarce within the next 100 years. In about 150-200 years billionaires will start mobilizing efforts for a space colony. Only those rich enough to afford a ticket can go. When this starts to happen and scarce resources are felt around the world modern society will begin to decay.

I like to thing I’d join a space colony. Might be the only option after a certain point..
              All hail the king.

Comment

Originally posted by Pookie View Post
                Disease I think we could overcome, idiots or crazy people with access to weapons of mass destruction maybe not
                do you think it’s more likely to be a world leader or a crazy group that lives in the woods/caves? Do you think some humans will survive?

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                Resources will start becoming scarce within the next 100 years. In about 150-200 years billionaires will start mobilizing efforts for a space colony. Only those rich enough to afford a ticket can go. When this starts to happen and scarce resources are felt around the world modern society will begin to decay.

I like to thing I’d join a space colony. Might be the only option after a certain point..
                What if your only option to join was you had to upload your consciousness into a computer/robot body? You’ll still be conscious, but you physical body would be dead. Would you be cool with that? Obviously it opens up benefits like longer lifespan and a body that can withstand more.

Comment

3/4
                  7 - i'm not sure we'll live long enough to invent this kind of technology
                  1 - given how common earth-like planets seem to be, i think if it was possible for a species to live for billions of years and colonize the galaxy it would've happened already

Comment

^ what do you think of your ranking of 1 vs 2? If humans survive for billions of years (long enough for the sun to hit red giant and engulf Earth) do you think in that timeline, we still won’t leave the galaxy?

What do you think of the argument that we may be one of the most advanced species in the universe in a 1000 year radius, given the lack of evidence otherwise (Fermi Paradox)?

What is your timeline of our climate threats? Near future or far future?

Comment

oh yeah, fermi paradox, forgot the name but that's basically what i meant for my explanation of 1. i lean towards "Periodic extinction by natural events" and/or "It is the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself" (in particular, species that colonize are probably violent). i think intelligent life is wiped out by planet-level, solar system or galaxy level events too frequently for them to advance and colonize the galaxy. stuff like asteroids, super novas, galaxies colliding etc

if we exist for a billion years i'm sure we'd leave the galaxy but at that point we wouldn't even be human anymore, we'd be something totally different.

i guess it's possible theres just no one near by, but i still feel like at least 1 of those intelligent species would've colonized most of the galaxy in the 13 billion odd years it's existed. modern humans have only existed for 200,000 years and we have the technology for space travel and will probably soon be able to colonize other planets. that's a tiny blip on the radar of existence.

the next most likely explanation for me is "We are not listening properly" or "We haven't been listening long enough".

i think climate change will seriously disrupt modern civilization in the next 100 years. i think the biggest issue will be war and mass emigration from the worst parts of the planet.

Comment

On topic, this was one of my favorite sites growing up: a collection of end-of-the-world scenarios! http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

6) we get pared down to a very small group of people, and over time, perhaps due to pressures from one of the above options, our population grows back but we evolve into a very different species
                        lol, i love that this was the plot to Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos
                        Last edited by PlaysWithSquirrels; July 13th, 2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X