JOLLY BISON

Thread: Little things you do to improve your life

Little things you do to improve your life

What small things do you do to improve your life? Have you noticed a difference since you started doing them?

Heres what I do:
    - Floss at night while I'm relaxing/watching TV
    - Yoga classes 4-5x a week
    - Putting my phone away and out of sight after dinner each night (just started doing this)
    - Update to do list each night before bed
    - Read until I fall asleep instead of falling asleep with TV on
    - My husband and I started asking each other "what's the best thing that happened to you today? What are you grateful for?" every day and doing one of those 3-year diaries you fill out together
    - Eating dinner at the table each night
    - Reminding myself throughout the day to take a cleansing breath and take a moment to appreciate my surroundings

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. I'm on a real mission to become a more present, mindful, and peaceful person and I've found all of this helps to keep me in the moment and mentally well.

Re: Little things you do to improve your life

I like some of your suggestions! I just asked my husband what the best thing was that happened to him today and he said, "why? where did you get that question from??" hahaha. Clearly it's out of character for me to ask that. I recently started making a list of things I wanted to accomplish in the week and it's a table with each day of the week listed. I go through and check the things I've done and it makes me feel more motivated and accomplished. [I put on reading for 30 minutes a day, reading 5 chapters in the bible each day (new goal to read the whole bible), exercise 3x/week, tidy up/do dishes, etc.] Otherwise I waste my day online and don't do anything. I really like your goal of becoming more present, mindful, & peaceful.

Making my bed and changing pillowcases three times a week
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

Love the 3-year journal idea! I want to order one now!

I think the biggest thing for me right now is hitting the gym 5x a week (usually over my "lunch hour" M-F as I work from home so it's a great way for me to get out of the house). I also have a calendar that I religiously use, and have every supper that I'm cooking for the next 3 months planned out, so deciding what's for dinner and doing groceries is always easy peasy (I still allow for spontaneity ha, but this just solves the "hmmm what should i make for dinner tonight hummmm need to go buy groceries eehhhh, and reduced our overall restaurant/eating out expenditure which has really helped with our overall budgeting).

*Prepare for the next morning as soon as I get home from work.(set up the coffee, pick out my clothes, pack my snacks, etc)
    *use the last 20-30 minutes of the work day preparing for the next day(what meetings do I have? Do I need anything printed out? Is anything due?)
    *set reminders/tasks for everything
    *go to the gym 3-5x week
    *do laundry 2-3x a week and fold/put everything away as soon as it’s done
    *clean a little every day
    *never leave dishes in the sink.

Basically anything that keeps me prepared and lowers last minute stress.

I love your bullet point about reading until you fall asleep. I wish I could do that, but if I did I would stay up past midnight every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Drakken View Post
    I love your bullet point about reading until you fall asleep. I wish I could do that, but if I did I would stay up past midnight every night.
    Me too! I get so involved in a book I could read it straight through and get next to no sleep. Ive done it a few times too. I do like to read before I go to bed but I usually put my bookmark 2-3 chapters ahead so once I get to the bookmark I have to stop and put my book down. If I get sleepy before that than I will relocate the bookmark to my current spot.

My first two are super similar to Furiosa's points:

I stop work at 4:30 every day (I leave at 5:15). I use this time to make a to do list for the next day, to clean my desk, file any papers, toss anything that I don't need, review for any meetings that are coming up, and handle any last minute tasks that someone inevitably tries to pass off to me at 5pm
    I don't sit down until I've been home for about an hour or so. I use this time to clean, lay out clothes for the next day, and prep dinner. I find if I sit I send up surfing the internet forever and it sucks so I just avoid sitting down for as long as possible lol
    I try reallllly hard to not use the internet after 9pm b/c it forces me to read or just chill
    I mediate every morning
    I write down goals at the beginning of every month and make a point to look at them every day so I know if I am on track

I try to think of all of this as doing a solid for future me. It helps me power through even when I'd rather just sit on my ass.

the past month:
    meditating in the bath with lavender bath bombs or bubble bath,
    drinking more water,
    drinking WAY less alcohol (like... i don't think i've had more than 2 beers the entire month, which is huge for me, i used to drink a 6 pack every night),
    drinking less coffee (also huge),
    writing more,
    cutting negative and toxic people out of my life even if they're family,
    going to therapy every week,
    made a decision not to attend my racist/drunk/stupid/hypocritical part of the family's holidays later on this year (a big relief).

i've been super struggling with health issues since about november so i'm trying to make positive changes
    difference reduction

Going for walks and runs
    Eating well
    Spending time just sitting and playing with my kids
    Taking time to pet my dog
    Putting my phone down
    Organizing my workload and writing things down