JOLLY BISON

Thread: Cover Letters

Cover Letters

Do you still write cover letters? How formal do you make them? Do you keep them professional, or do you show some of your personality in them?

I recently moved across the country, and while my old job let me work remote for a couple months to cover the transition, I'm starting the job hunt again. I'm really excited about one job posting right now, like REALLY want this job, and have been working on my cover letter all night, back and forth on some ideas for it. First I made it super professional, then I changed it up and added lots of my personality in it. I stood out in the interview process on my last job because they said I was so weird and quirky and they loved it, and that everyone else was so boring (I remember thinking I needed to reign myself in a little, ha, but I guess it worked for me). So should I add some of that quirky on cover letters, or keep it super profesh?

Re: Cover Letters

Here cover letters are still a must for any application and I keep them very professional, but I do like to use them as an opportunity to show off my literacy skills (my line of work involves a lot of report writing) and I have had good feedback about them. I cover my skills and experience and explain why I want the job. It probably depends on your industry though— i would imagine that in more creative roles some personality and flair might be what they are looking for.

Blog Entries

I haven't written a cover letter in 7 years so take my advice for what its worth. I would consider the industry in deciding whether to spice up your cover letter. A financial institution is going to warrant a dryer letter than a marketing firm. I think you are onto something in adding your personality in there. I like the idea because it makes you stand out. I'm sure reading job applications is dull. And for yourself, you will probably end up in a position that's a good fit if you tend to show your personality. I also think its important to showcase how passionate you are about the job. What is it that makes you so excited about it, what is it about you that makes you perfect for it, etc.

On a personal note, I always get good results when I carefully weave my personality into my writing. It can be hard to do so while also maintaining professionalism. But I think ultimately people are human and they like when they can humanize you through the through the screen.

Also consider whether your resume/cover letter is going to be read by a human being first or a computer. Hopefully you have the correct contact person, otherwise a computer may be scanning your application materials first.

I know you really like this particular job, but I would be interested to find out what kind of responses you get with varying degrees of personality in your writing! This is something I think about a lot.

Update: Sprinkled a bit of personality in the cover letter, and was contacted the next day for an interview. I just had the interview this afternoon, it went alright... I'm not convinced I got the job, but maybe like 80% sure? I thought I was only interviewing with one person (my would-be immediate boss) and then they brought one of the firm's partners in on the interview so that made me a little more nervous than I usually am in interviews. They also said they've been looking for the right person for this position for a year and a half, so sounds like they are being picky. In any case, they said that next step would be another interview with most, if not all, of the firm's partners (6 total.. eeeek!) I did show a decent amount of my personality in the interview too, made them laugh pretty good once, but it was a more serious interview than I've had to date.