JOLLY BISON

Thread: Female bosses vs male bosses

Female bosses vs male bosses

Have you had better experiences with the former? Latter? Or has gender been irrelevant?

Re: Female bosses vs male bosses

My old two bosses were men and my current boss is a woman. I much prefer my female boss but not sure if its just peesonality. Shes honestly a great boss but the men... 1 was an absolute asshole and intimidating as hell (old guy) the 2nd was way nicer much less intimidating but my goodness he was bad at his job. He just did not care at all. My current boss is great she is wonderful at her job extremely approachable and able to separate work and social situations which imo takes a very certain personality.

My experience is limited and probably unfair. At my current company I’ve only ever had 1 meal boss. However, previously I’ve experienced 3 male managers and 2 female managers. The 2 female were awful at their jobs, dragged the team down and ended up fired. 1 male was a micromanager, but otherwise competent and he left on his own.
    The two male managers now are pretty great.

Based on this- I still feel that gender is irrelevant because my pool of observation is small.

At both of my professional jobs I have had a female boss that I reported directly to, and then a higher level male boss that I report to occasionally. I have had problems with both of the higher level male bosses being weirdly condesending.

Ex:
    Boss: "thanks for your work on this project! It turned out really well!"
    me: "Thanks! I am glad you think so"
    Boss: "..."
    me: "yes?"
    Boss: "Well, aren't you going to say something?"
    me: "I did--thank you"
    Boss: "You should be more proud when I compliment you. Talk yourself up! be proud!"

like fuck off and stop trying to tell me how to feel about your thanks. I have literally had this same interaction at BOTH of my jobs multiple times and maybe I am missing something but to me, that seems very gendered--the idea that I need to react to their feedback in a specific way or perform a certain kind of 'joy' at hearing their praise.

Aside from that specific point, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I've gotten on with certain bosses better for personality reasons none of which had to do with their gender.

Blog Entries

Well I've only ever had male bosses, except for in a brief job waitressing I don't really remember

Bison Burger

I do better with male bosses.
    "That which does not kill me, only postpones the inevitable."

AJP <3

At my first professional job, both my line manager and the service manager were women. The CEO was too, but I had very little to do with her. At my current job, my line manager is a man, and both the service manager and the CEO are women.

I did wonder if I would have issues with having a man as my direct manager, but so far it’s been fine. His communication style is less gentle and warm than my previous manager (a lady) but he is a nice guy and isn’t condescending or intimidating. It probably helps that I work in social work rather than in s corporate environment, and that my manager is fairly young.

I don’t think gender has been too relevant for mine. My current boss is a woman and great. She’s very understanding and flexible especially when it comes to dealing with family life and work. I’ve had a couple other female bosses that had children as well and were not very understanding and more abrasive. I’ve had male managers that went both ways too.

I've had great and not so great bosses of both sexes.

I can only speak from part-time jobs and internships, but I tend to work better with women generally. I've never actually had a male boss, but the co-workers that have pissed me off the most (for laziness and general ineptitude usually) have always been men. Also the only negative interactions I've had with professors over the years have been with men (condescending/sexist comments about being emotional, statements about being difficult/not smiling enough -- yes, ACTUALLY, in graduate-level courses!). My mom is the same way -- always gets along great with her female bosses, clashes with men for some reason.

I find its easier to shoot the shit with males, but I guess it really depends on the boss.

In my professional jobs I've had one of each, and my male boss was horrible while my (current) female boss is great. But he was also just a shitty person and she is obviously just really good at managing people so I'm not sure it had much to do with gender.

I do find that 40-60 year old guys who are married with kids can be very confused by how to talk to/what to talk about with recently college grad aged women. At my old job they'd try football as a topic, maybe ask about school and then give up lmao
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle.pirate View Post
    At both of my professional jobs I have had a female boss that I reported directly to, and then a higher level male boss that I report to occasionally. I have had problems with both of the higher level male bosses being weirdly condesending.

Ex:
    Boss: "thanks for your work on this project! It turned out really well!"
    me: "Thanks! I am glad you think so"
    Boss: "..."
    me: "yes?"
    Boss: "Well, aren't you going to say something?"
    me: "I did--thank you"
    Boss: "You should be more proud when I compliment you. Talk yourself up! be proud!"

like fuck off and stop trying to tell me how to feel about your thanks. I have literally had this same interaction at BOTH of my jobs multiple times and maybe I am missing something but to me, that seems very gendered--the idea that I need to react to their feedback in a specific way or perform a certain kind of 'joy' at hearing their praise.

Aside from that specific point, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I've gotten on with certain bosses better for personality reasons none of which had to do with their gender.
    I remember this when it happened but reading it again it sounds like it was their way of asking you to talk to them about your work more so than giving a compliment.

I have been lucky that Iíve mostly enjoyed all my managers. I think if you find a great working environment itís really irrelevant if the managers are male or female.

I think itís cool to have women mentors in your life, but Iíve had some excellent male bosses who really encouraged me and help foster my professional growth.

There is one job I had where I felt I didnít jive with the company and didnít particularly enjoy their company culture. As a result of the culture, I felt the people I reported to were not quite leaders, unstructured and lacking, particularly since they tried to avoid titles.

Ultimately I think company or corporate culture is more important than the gender (or orientation) of managers. A great environment fosters great leadership in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    I remember this when it happened but reading it again it sounds like it was their way of asking you to talk to them about your work more so than giving a compliment.
    That was a different situation. I have had both of my male bosses tell me to ‘be happier/more excited/more proud’ in this context.

omg lol I was going to respond to this saying I've never had a female boss but my "real" boss right now is actually a woman haha. Most of my male bosses have been pretty incompetent, although nice to me (have had like one actual good boss ever). She isn't nice (although super incompetent too lol). I don't have enough sample size to know if there's been a real different.

In my experience, definitely males. However, the female managers I've had that were god awful were not proper represenations of women. They were the representation of the fucking devil.

I've not found that gender matters that much. At my old job, we had a 6 person leadership team, about evenly divided and with some turnover. I've had good and bad leaders from both men and women.
    Leah

It's easier to work for a man I find because they give you whatever you want due to their secret desire to sleep with you. Female bosses tend to push me more and give me tasks that strengthen my position with the company

Quote Originally Posted by DeeReynolds View Post
    It's easier to work for a man I find because they give you whatever you want due to their secret desire to sleep with you. Female bosses tend to push me more and give me tasks that strengthen my position with the company
    Err...
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night