JOLLY BISON

Thread: Missed Flight

Missed Flight

Has anyone ever had to stay overnight at the airport due to some sort of flight mishap? Or any other unfortunate travel stories?

I’m currently sitting in Baltimore because I missed my 10 pm flight due to my train from DC to BWI was delayed by 30 minutes. Thankfully it was through Southwest, they booked me on the next flight to Houston which unfortunately is 8am tomorrow, but they didn’t charge me anything! My original ticket was only $54 and it’s typically $192, so I thought I was going to have to pay the difference because that’s how much it costs right now for a brand new ticket. So I’m going to spend the night here because I’m completely broke, but that’s another story. I’ve been traveling for 10 days and I just want to be home.

Re: Missed Flight

Did you buy the flight with a credit card? Some credit cards have travel insurance.

Woah, close encounter—hi.

I got stuck overnight in Hamilton once because of a snowstorm. Depending on our point of origin, some of us got put up in hotels and some slept at the (small and crappy) airport. I was one of the lucky one but I'm still not sure what the deciding factor was.

I'm starting a very long journey home tonight. I fly Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh this evening, spend the night in an airport hotel, then fly to Tokyo (7 hours), layover, fly to Denver (11 hours), layover, fly to Edmonton (3 hrs), overnight at airport hotel, fly to toronto (4 hours), layover, fly to Moncton (2 hrs)

I'm not sure if I will survive...

Quote Originally Posted by caiomn View Post
    Did you buy the flight with a credit card? Some credit cards have travel insurance.
    No it was rewards points so no insurance. If I did what would it entail?

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle.pirate View Post
    Woah, close encounter—hi.
    Hi!

I was here last Sunday night and will be back next weekend for a conference. This is a record for most times spending a night in a city in one month for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    I got stuck overnight in Hamilton once because of a snowstorm. Depending on our point of origin, some of us got put up in hotels and some slept at the (small and crappy) airport. I was one of the lucky one but I'm still not sure what the deciding factor was.

I'm starting a very long journey home tonight. I fly Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh this evening, spend the night in an airport hotel, then fly to Tokyo (7 hours), layover, fly to Denver (11 hours), layover, fly to Edmonton (3 hrs), overnight at airport hotel, fly to toronto (4 hours), layover, fly to Moncton (2 hrs)

Jesus Christ that is such a brutal itinerary.

Anyways, yeah a couple times I've gotten stuck over night but both times it was the fault of the airline so they paid for my hotel. That sucks - you'll be home soon!

Blog Entries

In June I was flying direct to Orlando with JetBlue...easy enough right? The flight kept getting delayed and delayed for no apparent reason. Maybe there was a reason but I can't remember. Anyway I got there at 5pm then finally at 11:45 they let us board. Everyone boarded then they made an announcement they had to cancel the flight because it was after midnight citing some federal travel law. So I managed to get a flight the next morning at 7am instead. I had to go home and sleep for like 4 hours which sucked. I had a meeting the next day, longest day ever. Jet blue gave me a credit for $300 which I need to use by June. The flight only cost 260 something. I really don't wanna fly JetBlue again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post

jeeeez. i thought my 30 hour 2 layover return from bangkok to toronto was bad. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    No it was rewards points so no insurance. If I did what would it entail?
    My credit card will pay for a hotel and food if my flight causes an overnight stay that is unplanned.

Not quite overnight, but there was one time when I started my day at 6 am at National airport and didn't actually make it onto a plane until 11:30 pm at Dulles...being trapped while also trying to get a flight (they were struggling to find me literally any flight to Europe, let alone my actual destination) was like my own personal version of hell. I waited in at least 11 different ticket counter lines and spent 3 hours on the phone. Taking a nap in a quiet part of the terminal and breaking out my toiletries so I could wash my face we're the only two things that kept me from falling apart.
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

Ive been really lucky and so far my longest delay was to Thailand which was 1 hour delayed... my train was also delayed that day so i got to the airport about 1 hour Later than i expected.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry and that sucks
    Working in the travel industry i see it happen all the time. If you had any money on you i would recommend checking into a hotel but sadly sounds like it's not an option

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    jeeeez. i thought my 30 hour 2 layover return from bangkok to toronto was bad. good luck
    I messed things up by moving after I booked the ticket. It was cheaper just to add a leg across canada, especially since my time isn't worth much right now when all I'm doing is applying to jobs and waiting my someone --anyone -- to read my dissertation so I can defend sometime in the next decade. But that's a rant for a different day. I've been at Denver airport for the last 8 hours bc my flight to canada keeps getting delayed. I was adding up what I ate today and was like "holy shit I ate like 4000 cals no wonder I feel gross" and then I realized it's been two days cause I went 16 hours back in time at one point