JOLLY BISON
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arts and crafts hobbies

Re: Arts and crafts hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    What venue are you using to share your writing? I would be happy to reach 1000 comments too! I'm proud every time I get a new view on my academic writing haha, which isn't very often...

I want to get into fiction writing, but unlike most of my peers in academia, I want to do more low-brow romance or teen fiction. Something fun.
    I mostly use Wattpad! It's pretty hard to navigate until you get the hang of it, and it takes a lot of self-promoting, but it's such a blast! Also, there is seriously SO MUCH garbage on there that in comparison, my writing seems awesome despite it still being amateur haha.

I'm writing a romantic comedy! It's kind of a satire on the whole "Hot Billionaire Meets Insecure Girl" trope, largely inspired by me getting tired of people romanticizing unhealthy relationships just because the dude is hot and rich haha. i.e. 50 shades of grey.
    There is a huge stigma against writing romance it seems, but I don't care. I feel like I've intertwined enough realistic themes (mental health being a huge one) that it isn't just a sappy, cheesy, romance (although, those are fun, too!). At first I was a little bit ashamed of writing romance, but I've realized that I just fucking love watching human interaction and I'm a romantic at heart, sooo may as well embrace it!

A friend's wife does string art. It looks fun and relatively inexpensive? I'd like to get into it.
    Example https://img0.etsystatic.com/115/0/99...73708_medd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DeeReynolds View Post
    A friend's wife does string art. It looks fun and relatively inexpensive? I'd like to get into it.
    I love your username so much!

Quote Originally Posted by JimminyCricket! View Post
    I love your username so much!
    It's the same name I used on my POF account lol. If anyone messaged me saying, "Hi Dee", I wouldn't respond

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeReynolds View Post
    adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by JimminyCricket! View Post
    I mostly use Wattpad! It's pretty hard to navigate until you get the hang of it, and it takes a lot of self-promoting, but it's such a blast! Also, there is seriously SO MUCH garbage on there that in comparison, my writing seems awesome despite it still being amateur haha.

I'm writing a romantic comedy! It's kind of a satire on the whole "Hot Billionaire Meets Insecure Girl" trope, largely inspired by me getting tired of people romanticizing unhealthy relationships just because the dude is hot and rich haha. i.e. 50 shades of grey.
    There is a huge stigma against writing romance it seems, but I don't care. I feel like I've intertwined enough realistic themes (mental health being a huge one) that it isn't just a sappy, cheesy, romance (although, those are fun, too!). At first I was a little bit ashamed of writing romance, but I've realized that I just fucking love watching human interaction and I'm a romantic at heart, sooo may as well embrace it!
    Sounds like fun! How do you stay motivated to write on top of your other responsibilities? Do you have a set time for writing each day, or do you just write when you feel like it? I used to always have something on the go when I was in undergrad, but I dropped the hobby in grad school

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Sounds like fun! How do you stay motivated to write on top of your other responsibilities? Do you have a set time for writing each day, or do you just write when you feel like it? I used to always have something on the go when I was in undergrad, but I dropped the hobby in grad school
    It is so fun! Umm...I stay motivated for a couple reasons. One being that I've actually developed a pretty decently sized following (within an hour of posting a new chapter I usually have about 50 views. Not a lot, but that's 50 people who care about my existence which is cool. Then it gets steadily higher throughout the week!). The constant validation is definitely motivating haha.

The second that it's incredibly cathartic for me! I'm overall infinitely happier and less stressed out when I find time to write, even if I'm also drowning in school haha. I sort of set deadlines? I try to post a new chapter once or twice a week at least, but if I'm really busy with school then I'll skip a couple weeks. I have a pretty clear outline made for the story so I don't really have writers block ever, so whenever I have a few spare hours I'm able to write ~3000 words pretty easily. I actually just hit 100,000 words yesterday! Woo!

You make me want to try writing! That is too cool!

Can you post more about your experience with that site? How long have you been writing fiction? How long have you been using that platform?

Quote Originally Posted by caiomn View Post
    Can you post more about your experience with that site? How long have you been writing fiction? How long have you been using that platform?
    Absolutely give it a try! Writing is definitely the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life. I've never really had a hobby besides listening to music, so it's amazing having a creative outlet.

Wattpad is an interesting site. I've been on it since this past December! I personally love it, and there's actually been a fair amount of published authors that have been scouted from the website, but it has kind of a bad reputation. A ton of it is filled with 16 year old girls writing about vampire-sex or very unhealthy and unrealistic relationships, but there are definitely some amazing stories on it! Just gotta sift through a lot of bad ones. It's super tricky to get the hang of it at the beginning, so if you're ever interested in posting on it, I'll gladly give you lots of tips!

I used to write fiction a lot when I was in highschool, mostly Harry Potter fanfiction (hahaha). Then I took a ten year break with no imagination whatsoever, until this summer I randomly stumbled upon this silly cheesy (non-fanfiction) story I had started writing when I was about 14. It was terribly written, but I remembered where I was going with it, so I just started casually finishing it and realized how much I loved writing! Since August, while casually writing, I started doing a lot of research on how to write properly (the writing subreddit is amazing), and during Nanowrimo I started writing the story I'm writing now!

At the risk of sounding cocky, it is seriously CRAZY how much my writing has improved from just this past summer to where it is now. Like, I can barely read the stuff I wrote in August because it's so cringey, but now I'm actually fairly proud of my writing. I say this because if you do start writing, don't get discouraged if things don't come out perfectly the first time you try! I always thought that writing was a talent that you either had or didn't have, and while having a talent for it wouldn't hurt, it's definitely a skill that can be constantly improved with practice.

ALSO, it's like the cheapest hobby ever hahaha. I have definitely saved money since starting!

i made this candle

Blog Entries

appreciate your contributions to the thread ^^^.

I have become lightly obsessed with making these:

Blog Entries

^ They are awesome. Vileplume looks like he's about to get roasted.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle.pirate View Post
    I have become lightly obsessed with making these:

Holy crap holy crap holy crap I have never been in love with anything more

He looks blissfully unaware of it too lol.

I started making some of the Mario baddies but I haven’t had time to iron them because of actual work. Awesome break from my real work though where I still get to make a thing. It’s really cathartic.

Blog Entries

Well that brings back memories, I might even have some of those iron on beads somewhere