JOLLY BISON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arts and crafts hobbies

Blog Entries

Arts and crafts hobbies

I am wanting a creative outlet in my life. What are yours?

Re: Arts and crafts hobbies

i wanna get into making my own cosmetics. stuff like lip balm, bath bombs, soap, perfume, etc. there are lots of recipes online

I cut newspapers and magazines and make collages for whatever mood I'm in, and tape them in my journal. Makes me feel weirdly accomplished creatively lol
    difference reduction

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lipstickcoveredmagnet View Post
    I cut newspapers and magazines and make collages for whatever mood I'm in, and tape them in my journal. Makes me feel weirdly accomplished creatively lol
    that sounds interesting...i'm always tossing things i could use for that! my room as a kid was pretty much a giant collage.

I started doing macrame a while ago, it's really fun and satisfying. I haven't done it in a while because I want to make a really big piece and use it as my headboad but I'm looking for the perfect piece of driftwood to attach it to. You can make some really beautiful wall hangings.

I do embroidery, which is really medatative. I've also made my own soap, paint pictures, restore furniture or antique-y type stuff, I cook and bake a lot. I used to sew, but I was never good at it.

I really like to crochet. I haven't made anything worth looking at lol, but that's not really the point. I just like something creative to do with my hands that is distinctly separate from the creative work I actually do for uh, work work. Lots of youtube videos about how to make different things and it's easy enough to pick up. I make granny squares mostly, one day maybe I'll attach all of them.

I'm real shit at crafts, but culinary arts is my jam! I bake and cook allllll the time, and often feed a lot of my friends/coworkers with my latest creations.

The only thing artsy that I do is crocheting. I mainly stick to baby blankets and scarfs, as they're easiest. I wish I could paint but I'm terrible at it.

I bake/cook, do cross stitch, and do crafts for around the house/my office. I like to paint, Iím not good at it. I am taking a two week watercolor class next month that Iím excited about.

This thread inspired me to buy 8000 pearler beads so THANKS I GUESS. Gonna
    jam out on some audio books and make some pixel art this weekend helllll yeah.

I recently started writing a book and it's the most incredible and therapeutic experience of my life! Also slowly getting internet famous (not really, but I just reached 1000 comments haha) which is absolutely thrilling! I'm hoping to get it published eventually because it's an awesome story.
    Otherwise, I am not artistic at all haha.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle.pirate View Post
    This thread inspired me to buy 8000 pearler beads so THANKS I GUESS. Gonna
    jam out on some audio books and make some pixel art this weekend helllll yeah.
    haha sorry. i'm trying not to buy anything until next credit card cycle myself. i went a little over my goal for the month already
    Quote Originally Posted by JimminyCricket! View Post
    I recently started writing a book and it's the most incredible and therapeutic experience of my life! Also slowly getting internet famous (not really, but I just reached 1000 comments haha) which is absolutely thrilling! I'm hoping to get it published eventually because it's an awesome story.
    I was thinking about writing but I write so much for work it might start feeling like work. Although I never do any creative writing. I'm not artistic either! I'm thinking about starting to make clothes or something like that. We had to take a short sewing class in 5th grade and I did so poorly on that project it scarred me for life! It would be pretty handy to be able to alter/make clothing though and it could be especially fun with a baby/kid since their stuff never lasts that long anyway I could try out some things.

Thanks everyone for sharing I'm loving the inspiration.

The pearler beads cost me 20 dollars I am gonna be ok

I am so ridiculously obsessed with knitting and crocheting. It is truly one of the most important aspects of my life, and I know that sounds crazy but I can't even begin to explain how much of an impact both crafts have had on my mental health and overall well being. I've gotten through some really tough times just channeling my negative and hurtful feelings into it. And when I'm in a good place in life, it's even better to spend my time working on something that I enjoy.

last night i painted a picture of a cactus

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    last night i painted a picture of a cactus
    I saw that and it made me want to paint one too lol

I like painting and recently got back into that but I loooooove photography.

Amazon has a lot of pretty paint by numbers kits for adults

Quote Originally Posted by JimminyCricket! View Post
    What venue are you using to share your writing? I would be happy to reach 1000 comments too! I'm proud every time I get a new view on my academic writing haha, which isn't very often...

I want to get into fiction writing, but unlike most of my peers in academia, I want to do more low-brow romance or teen fiction. Something fun.

I haven't really had creative hobbies in a long time, especially since starting my PhD, since my academic work has exercised a lot of creativity and has been personally fulfilling in that respect. I knit, but more for something to do with my hands than anything else, and I stick to really simple projects that I don't have to give my full attention. Other than that I've mostly had fitness related hobbies, which I think appeal to me because they are so different from what I do for work (emphasis on physical performance, tracking numerical data, routine and repetition)

I'm hoping that once I get on a different career track, academia can be a hobby, since I like coming up with ideas for articles and still feel like I have something to contribute