JOLLY BISON
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for first international trip

Re: Tips for first international trip

Quote Originally Posted by CashCash View Post
    Almost all French people speak a bit of english. You will just need to know "Hello," "How are you," "Sorry to bother you, do you speak English" and you'll be good!

Majority of the menus have english and if they don't they usually have an english menu on hand.
    Lol yes so far my most practiced phrases are ‘do you speak English’ ‘do you have a menu available in English?’ ‘I don’t understand’ and of course—‘hello’ ‘goodbye’ ‘please’ ‘thank you’ ‘yes’ ‘no’

There is this amazing app I saw that translates back and forth in real time (it writes the text). You should download it just in case! You just select the two languages and both people can talk. Probably not necessary but could come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by caiomn View Post
    There is this amazing app I saw that translates back and forth in real time (it writes the text). You should download it just in case! You just select the two languages and both people can talk. Probably not necessary but could come in handy.
    I do have that and have been using it! Although mostly to remember how to say certain things or to translate signage.

Google translate! I remember thinking man THIS is the future when they first released it. So cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie! View Post
    Google translate! I remember thinking man THIS is the future when they first released it. So cool.
    Yeah Google translate was awesome, but this app essentially was like a conversation. Like you wouldn’t type into it, you’d just talk, and the words would appear, then the other person would talk, and it would translate the other way, etc

Yes the one I have is called ‘speak and translate’

Yeah Google translate was awesome, but this app essentially was like a conversation. Like you wouldn’t type into it, you’d just talk, and the words would appear, then the other person would talk, and it would translate the other way, etc
    Now that’s awesome, I’ll have to get that. Does anyone know how accurate it is? It would probably make meeting my SO’s grandparents a lot easier.

What language do they speak? The one I saw was for Portuguese and seemed good so I bet it’s fantastic for Romance languages. Idk about others.

Just used speak and translate with our French host and it worked very well. I think it’s a bit off (it was translating her speech a bit oddly—minor word order oddities, etc) but it was very minor stuff and nothing and prevented us from figuring out what she was saying. A can speak more French than I thought and she spoke enough English to indicate she didn’t speak English that well lol. It is great because it allows you to have a fairly natural conversation speaking back and forth into it.

What language do they speak? The one I saw was for Portuguese and seemed good so I bet it’s fantastic for Romance languages. Idk about others.
    Arabic and French (Lebanese nationality). So maybe just the French then haha.

I’m confident the French will work. I think you will have to do some research for Arabic.

We found that when we went to France (Paris) people were a lot more friendly if you said bonjour and attempted french before speaking English. It seemed they were put off when we just started with English.

^i think that is true anywhere. I actually found forcing myself to speak Dutch to be a lot more akward than French bc the languages are similar and I knew all of the people I was speaking to spoke English. Even though I know a lot more Dutch than French, I rarely spoke any (I said ‘Dank u wel’ maybe a handful of times max). Conversely, I have spoken a lot of French because aside from very tourist centered areas, it is necessary.

Today is the last day of our trip which is sad but also exciting because we now have tons of ideas about where we might like to go next and what to do differently next time to make it even better. I am seriously already so excited about whatever trip we decide to do next summer and we don’t even know where we are gonna go lol.

Highlights were def the food tour we did in Amsterdam and biking through the vineyards in Colmar. Gonnna post pics soon.