JOLLY BISON
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading right now??

Re: What are you reading right now??

I'm reading the book Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child by Thich Nhat Hanh and it is sooo good. My mom loaned it to me 2 years ago and I was like pffft I don't have childhood trauma to deal with and never read it. It's been amazing for chilling out my anxiety. Highly recommend.

I'm in the middle of the His Dark Materials series. I just finished The Golden Compass. Really good book. Although the end totally confused me at first. Like what the effff was going on with Lyra's parents?

Listening to The Woman in The Window.

While I was on vacation recently, I started back into reading the Dexter series. I had started it forever ago, read a few of them, and stopped. I am determined to finish them now. They’re so good. Definitely recommend them to anyone who loved the show, despite the fact that the show is very different than the books plot-wise.

Anatomy of a Miracle by Jonathan Miles
    All hail the king.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Drakken View Post
    I'm in the middle of the His Dark Materials series. I just finished The Golden Compass. Really good book. Although the end totally confused me at first. Like what the effff was going on with Lyra's parents?
    Ohhh I have been wanting to read that! Haven’t gotten around to it.

I just finished little darlings which is about a woman who gave birth to twins and a hag who threatens her with changelings. 3/5 stars for that one. Kinda let down, I was super excited for it.. but it wasn’t bad, I did finish it.

Self Compassion by Kristen Neff. This book is life changing.

We’re just like you only prettier. All of you with kids will love it!!!!!

Okay y’all, so I started reading small great things by Jodi picoult yesterday. I’m about 21% in and it’s incredible so far. I can tell it’s going to be heavy but damn. My jaw has already dropped multiple times and there are so many lines in it that are so good.

Anyways, this is the description from goodreads

Ruth Jefferson is a labor and delivery nurse at a Connecticut hospital with more than twenty years' experience. During her shift, Ruth begins a routine checkup on a newborn, only to be told a few minutes later that she's been reassigned to another patient. The parents are white supremacists and don't want Ruth, who is African American, to touch their child. The hospital complies with their request, but the next day, the baby goes into cardiac distress while Ruth is alone in the nursery. Does she obey orders or does she intervene?

Ruth hesitates before performing CPR and, as a result, is charged with a serious crime. Kennedy McQuarrie, a white public defender, takes her case but gives unexpected advice: Kennedy insists that mentioning race in the courtroom is not a winning strategy. Conflicted by Kennedy's counsel, Ruth tries to keep life as normal as possible for her family—especially her teenage son—as the case becomes a media sensation. As the trial moves forward, Ruth and Kennedy must gain each other's trust, and come to see that what they've been taught their whole lives about others—and themselves—might be wrong.

With incredible empathy, intelligence, and candor, Jodi Picoult tackles race, privilege, prejudice, justice, and compassion—and doesn't offer easy answers. Small Great Things is a remarkable achievement from a writer at the top of her game

Damn I was in the middle of reading good omens and my library loan expired. It's a 20 week wait to get it back.

Damn I was in the middle of reading good omens and my library loan expired. It's a 20 week wait to get it back.
    Do you read on your Kindle or on your phone? If you download the book to your computer through Amazon and specify which Kindle it is for, you can keep it indefinitely.

Were you loving it?

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
    Do you read on your Kindle or on your phone? If you download the book to your computer through Amazon and specify which Kindle it is for, you can keep it indefinitely.
    Wait how? I've downloaded to my Kindle before but once the title expires it always leaves me Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle. View Post
    Were you loving it?
    I was about 50% done, and it was good but I wasn't loving it. Definitely had a lot of funny one-liners, but I did struggle to keep focused when reading it.

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.

I'm on an Atwood binge. highly recommend the MaddAdam series.

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.

I'm on an Atwood binge. highly recommend the MaddAdam series.

Wait how? I've downloaded to my Kindle before but once the title expires it always leaves me Kindle.
    Basically follow these steps. I have the 2nd gen Paperwhite, so IDK if it being older is a reason it lets me. Save all the books you want to your computer and read to your heart's desire!

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
    Basically follow these steps. I have the 2nd gen Paperwhite, so IDK if it being older is a reason it lets me. Save all the books you want to your computer and read to your heart's desire!
    Ohh I don't have a computer anymore.

One time when a library book was about to expire I turned off the wifi on my Kindle and the book didn't expire. But then I tried it a second time and that book did expire so who knows.

I just realized that I can stack renewals for (physical) library books. I had a book due tomorrow so I went online to renew and accidently hit renew twice and now I have like 60 days before it's due again. This is great because I have very little time to read and for some reason thought it was a good idea to get two 500+ paged books from the library.

Today I read a book called Genesis by Bernard Beckett. It was a short read, only took me about three hours or so. It was really good though. It has a twist, which I figured maybe 60% in but it took the twist in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry VIII View Post
    I just realized that I can stack renewals for (physical) library books. I had a book due tomorrow so I went online to renew and accidently hit renew twice and now I have like 60 days before it's due again. This is great because I have very little time to read and for some reason thought it was a good idea to get two 500+ paged books from the library.
    My library doesn't have fines anymore. I have had two books out for at least two months now and I am starting to wonder when they start hunting you down trying to get you to return the book.