JOLLY BISON

Thread: Europe vacation

Bison Burger

Europe vacation

So I'm tentatively planning a big blow out vacation for next year. A last hurrah before I turn 30 and have kids and my life ends lol.

I'm looking at all inclusive vacation packages so I can just pay and not worry about anything.

Anyone have thoughts on Croatia or Monaco? I'm trying to figure out what countries I want to hit.

Also what should I bring with me? I'm not sure what I would need to make my phone work or use a hair dryer at European hotels etc.
    "That which does not kill me, only postpones the inevitable."

AJP <3

Re: Europe vacation

Monaco is pretty boring, or at least I thought it was. The view is nice but itís a tiny country full of very rich people so it mostly feels stuffy and expensive. Maybe worth a day trip if youíre nearby? The French Riviera (Nice is like 20 mins from Monaco) is way cooler imo and a much more ďculturalĒ experience. Iíve never been to Croatia but heard itís awesome, I feel like Beth went there recently? If I was going to Europe for the first time Iíd go somewhere in Germany for sure - great cities but they also have castles, lots of history, a good number of English speakers, beer, and itís really easy to get around.

A lot of hotels will have hairdryers, if youíre staying in hostels or smaller places that donít its a good bet to just buy a cheap European one because your American one will most likely catch on fire (different voltage). Most things like phone chargers are dual voltage so they wonít explode, youíll just need a plug adaptor.

For your phone itself if you want to have access to data/calls (highly recommend having data so you can use google maps and look up places to go) you can either go through your carrier or get a SIM internationally. A lot of carriers have some kind of international add on plan now - verizon has a travel pass where you pay $5 a day and for every day you pay you get unlimited talk and data while traveling. Otherwise, if your phone is unlocked (might have to call your carrier and get them to unlock it) you can buy a sim + prepaid plan from an EU carrier like Vodafone and swap it for your american one, which is usually cheaper (~5GB data/$15-25).
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

I think all-inclusive will be wayyyy more expensive than doing it yourself.

Bison Burger

Unless I find something else, we're just doing 10 days split between Italy and Greece.

AJP <3

Check out cruises too. They can be very affordable and get you to a lot of destinations with food, booze, and accommodation included.

Quote Originally Posted by caiomn View Post
    I think all-inclusive will be wayyyy more expensive than doing it yourself.
    yeah i think it's a waste of money. if you just want to stay in one resort go to a nice beach in mexico or central america imo.

both greece and italy are great. check out santorini!!

Bison Burger

Quote Originally Posted by caiomn View Post
    Check out cruises too. They can be very affordable and get you to a lot of destinations with food, booze, and accommodation included.
    I'm looking at all inclusive tours because they do all the hotel and transportation booking for you. So if I want to go to 5 cities in two countries, I don't have to try and figure that shit out myself.

AJP <3

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSweetIrony View Post
    I'm looking at all inclusive tours because they do all the hotel and transportation booking for you. So if I want to go to 5 cities in two countries, I don't have to try and figure that shit out myself.
    I did my tour of iceland through intrepid and found them really good. There's also g-adventures and a few others that are more 'party focused'. I really don't mind going with companies, I think they can be great and for me especially it was great to meet people as I was travelling on my own. I've done two trips with tour companies and have no complaints