JOLLY BISON

Thread: I知 driving across the whole freaking country and need suggestions...

I知 driving across the whole freaking country and need suggestions...

...for literally anything! Haven稚 even decided on a route yet, besides starting in Pittsburgh and ending in SoCal with 8-10 days in between. Any trip suggestions, particularly cool places you致e driven, stuff I should stop at that I壇 never think of, places I absolutely should not go, tips 4 not going crazy, car camping tips, etc etc etc are welcome.

I like to stay away from interstates unless I知 driving somewhere really boring and am planning on spending a day of not driving in Moab so I can climb and hike but other than that im very open.
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

Re: I知 driving across the whole freaking country and need suggestions...

I've driven to DC & back to South Dakota by myself a few times. Road trips are great! I'd aboslutely avoid Gary, IN. I think it's an internet joke now, but it's seriously awful. I don't think you'd drive through there if you're heading to Southern California though.

Audiobooks have helped me immensely on road trips. I've always rented from the library, so it's free and literal hours of entertainment. They're especially great if you start getting bored of music.

I honestly like to drive through little towns. I've seen some of the most beautiful, cute little main streets in these tiny towns (particularly since you're trying to stay off the interstate). They rarely get visitors, so it's really cool to see and talk to people in the little stores. They can give you cool ideas of things to see that you might not find otherwise!

About 8-9 years ago, I drove through Bedford, PA and I really loved it. It was just so small and cute. I loved all the colonial buildings and atmosphere of the town. I still remember it all these years later. It might not be that great anymore though, and it's east of Pittsburgh. But general idea is small little towns are cute and worth it.

6 hours of driving a day will take 8 days without interstate highways, 6 days with them. I would rather go the interstate route because you can stop in Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Utah, Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    6 hours of driving a day will take 8 days without interstate highways, 6 days with them. I would rather go the interstate route because you can stop in Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Utah, Las Vegas.
    oh I forgot my other thing is I never in my life want to drive across Ohio Indiana Illinois again, it’s such a drag and I’ve done it like 6 times at this point.

That is basically the way I went when I drove from CA-> DC a few years ago though with a detour to Lincoln NE. I never knew that the stretch of CO east of Denver was one of the dullest places in the US haha

Quote Originally Posted by Aldous Huxley View Post
    I've driven to DC & back to South Dakota by myself a few times. Road trips are great! I'd aboslutely avoid Gary, IN. I think it's an internet joke now, but it's seriously awful. I don't think you'd drive through there if you're heading to Southern California though.

Audiobooks have helped me immensely on road trips. I've always rented from the library, so it's free and literal hours of entertainment. They're especially great if you start getting bored of music.

I honestly like to drive through little towns. I've seen some of the most beautiful, cute little main streets in these tiny towns (particularly since you're trying to stay off the interstate). They rarely get visitors, so it's really cool to see and talk to people in the little stores. They can give you cool ideas of things to see that you might not find otherwise!

About 8-9 years ago, I drove through Bedford, PA and I really loved it. It was just so small and cute. I loved all the colonial buildings and atmosphere of the town. I still remember it all these years later. It might not be that great anymore though, and it's east of Pittsburgh. But general idea is small little towns are cute and worth it.
    Ugh thank you, this reminded me to request the good audiobooks now because all the new releases have a super long waitlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    oh I forgot my other thing is I never in my life want to drive across Ohio Indiana Illinois again, it’s such a drag and I’ve done it like 6 times at this point.

That is basically the way I went when I drove from CA-> DC a few years ago though with a detour to Lincoln NE. I never knew that the stretch of CO east of Denver was one of the dullest places in the US haha
    I think the entire stretch of Midwest from North Dakota to Louisiana is boring. You can’t really avoid it.

I want to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway so I'd try to fit that in. https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/10380386 We drove from SC to NY two years ago and took the Skyline for a bit and it was gorgeous.

I love planning roadtrips. Just taking a quick look at the map, I'd look into the Blue Ridge Parkway, then I-40 (because it takes you through some cities that I've never been to but want to visit - Nashville, Memphis, Albuquerque, Amarillo? Not sure what there is to do in Amarillo but I imagine they have good bbq). Head south at Flagstaff on I-17 (stop in Sedona, love it there) to Phoenix. I-10 or 8 into CA. I'd do 10 to stop at Joshua Tree NP. I didn't actually look into any of these routes though, I usually spend a long time researching everything in the area before I make a decision. We tend to stay around interstates so that we can get off when there's a more interesting route and then back on when we want to go straight through.

Are you flying home or driving?
    Last edited by Henry VIII; April 11th, 2019 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry VIII View Post
    I want to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway so I'd try to fit that in. https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/10380386 We drove from SC to NY two years ago and took the Skyline for a bit and it was gorgeous.

I love planning roadtrips. Just taking a quick look at the map, I'd look into the Blue Ridge Parkway, then I-40 (because it takes you through some cities that I've never been to but want to visit - Nashville, Memphis, Albuquerque, Amarillo? Not sure what there is to do in Amarillo but I imagine they have good bbq). Head south at Flagstaff on I-17 (stop in Sedona, love it there) to Phoenix. I-10 or 8 into CA. I'd do 10 to stop at Joshua Tree NP. I didn't actually look into any of these routes though, I usually spend a long time researching everything in the area before I make a decision. We tend to stay around interstates so that we can get off when there's a more interesting route and then back on when we want to go straight through.

Are you flying home or driving?
    That route was intriguing to me too because I’ve never been to Nashville or that part of the country really. It’s too bad New Orleans is so far south because I’d really like to go there.

I’m moving to CA so neither it’s scary but also exciting!

I致e roadtripped along Interstate 40 & Route 66. I especially found Amarillo and Tucumcari to be fun little towns to explore. I also stopped at Slug Bug Ranch and Cadillac Ranch which is a cool photo op.

Basically my trip started in Michigan, went through Ohio, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Hollywood/LA area of California before ending in Northern California (SF Bay Area). The entire trip took about 7 days for me and my friend.

You could probably take a similar route starting in Pittsburgh working your way toward Ohio.

I recommend getting gas at Travel Stations (big gas stations for truckers) because the gas tends to be cheaper. If you drive through Texas definitely use GasBuddy and Roadtrippers to plan where you need to stop for gas as you can go hundreds of miles without seeing a station!

If you池e going from Arizona to Southern California fill up your tank in Kingsman, Arizona. The first CA town you hit Baristowe is extremely overpriced for gas because they池e the first town you hit after crossing the AZ / CA border.

I did Virginia -> Kentucky -> Missouri -> Nebraska -> SD -> Wyoming -> Utah -> Nevada -> northern CA and I loved it. I'd wanted to also do North Dakota but didn't work out due to weather. If you want to do southern route I've been told Little Rock and Hot Springs AR are really fun. I tried to stop at as many national parks as I can. My favorite part was route 50 in Nevada, but if you're ending up in SoCal it might not be practical. If I was going southern, I'd probably do Kentucky, TN, AR, drop down and do southern TX including Big Bend, go up and spend a lot of time in NM and AZ. I think its fun to stop in small towns. Arizona has a ton of cool places to stop, but if you're in southern CA you'll be able to do those in smaller trips. I would focus as much as you can on the states you won't have much reason to be in again

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I did Virginia -> Kentucky -> Missouri -> Nebraska -> SD -> Wyoming -> Utah -> Nevada -> northern CA and I loved it. I'd wanted to also do North Dakota but didn't work out due to weather. If you want to do southern route I've been told Little Rock and Hot Springs AR are really fun. I tried to stop at as many national parks as I can. My favorite part was route 50 in Nevada, but if you're ending up in SoCal it might not be practical. If I was going southern, I'd probably do Kentucky, TN, AR, drop down and do southern TX including Big Bend, go up and spend a lot of time in NM and AZ. I think its fun to stop in small towns. Arizona has a ton of cool places to stop, but if you're in southern CA you'll be able to do those in smaller trips. I would focus as much as you can on the states you won't have much reason to be in again
    I did route 50 in Nevada last time and it was really cool, wow. I don’t think I’ve ever been that far from another person or seen that many stars in my life.

Hot springs AR looks like a fun stop too, adding it to the list!