Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

fish tanks

JOLLY BISON

Thread: fish tanks

fish tanks

do any of you guys have fish tanks? what kind of fish do you keep?

i'm thinking about getting one. first i was thinking something small with one male betta, but i might go for a 10-20 gallon tank instead with some guppies and a few other small tropical fish. not sure

theres so much conflicting information on the internet about keeping fish, i'm getting confused lol

Re: fish tanks

I don't but my brother has had a really beautiful 30 gallon tank for years. He has mostly neon tetras and zebra dianos I think in there. They're both small, cute, and easy to maintain. Of course the only photo I could find of his tank is sans fish:

ooh that is very nice. kinda looks like an underwater lord of the rings landscape haha

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    ooh that is very nice. kinda looks like an underwater lord of the rings landscape haha
    He's had some kind of tank since he was 11 or 12. The tank in the photo is an iwagumi aquarium which has something to do with the landscaping I think--natural plants, lost of rocks, and over all minimal vibes.

We had a 20 gallon for a while. To be honest I hated it lmao its sooo much work to keep it clean. Plus you have to make sure your fish don't get sick or diseased, you have to have compatabile fish, and you have to be able to quarantine fish. They're cool to look at though.

^Yeah we had one for a while too and I would not do it again. The only good thing about it was that it was pretty at night lit up. It was too much work to keep it clean and it was depressing when the fish died.

^It's tru, even with easy to care for fish the tank itself needs as much if not more care than a baby or puppy and it has none of the rewards a baby or puppy offers you. It's basically a really demanding plant in terms of what it offers in return.

Also, you live in an apartment right? Do they allow aquariums? I know mine doesn't. My brother's split once along the bottom and destroyed the ceiling of the room below, so, that's probably why lol.

^ good point, that would be a nightmare... i do have tenant insurance but i doubt my landlord would be pleased

hmmm okay yall are turning me off it a bit lol.

^ good point, that would be a nightmare... i do have tenant insurance but i doubt my landlord would be pleased

hmmm okay yall are turning me off it a bit lol.

i ended up getting one anywayz. i got smallish tank (4 gallons) and a betta fish who i named Nathan. on further research i think the tank might be a bit too small, fish hobbyists recommend 5 gallons minimum (although the people at pet stores seem to think its ok to keep them in tiny bowls...?), but i'm gonna wait and see if the water quality stays ok. gonna get a couple plants and maybe a snail to help keep it clean/oxygenated.

i hope i don't kill him cuz i'm a fish n00b. i never thought i'd care much about a fish but i feel responsible and protective of him now. he seems a little sluggish and spent awhile hiding in his cave but i guess he had a traumatizing day yesterday being carried down the street and on the subway and put into a new tank. he's eating though and came out this morning, seeming to stare at me through the glass. apparently they're pretty smart for fish and can learn to recognize individual people? i didn't know that.

^theres probably not many fish in the grand scheme of things that have been on the subway, that’s funny to think about. You go Nathan.
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

aw looks cute.

soo i got more attached to Nathan and did more research and watched videos of bettas in bigger tanks and started feeling guilty so i splurged on a tank almost 3x that size looool. he'll be moving into it once it's cycled, maybe with a few friends (shrimp or pygmy corydoras, idk)

it's actually horrifying how uninformed people are about betta fish. even the pet store employees! yeah they can survive for a year or so in a tiny shitty tank/bowl without a filter and a heater, but you'd also survive for awhile if i locked you naked in a cold closet and forced you to piss and shit in there, as long as i fed you occasionally. it wouldn't be a pleasant existence, though. poor pretty misunderstood things.

</crazy fish rant>

lol you gotta post a pic of his new pad once you get it set up!

10 gallon tank arrived, i just gotta get some more substrate and plants and then Nathan will move into his bigger home.

he's so cute. super active. he's already learned to swim to the feeding hole whenever i walk over to his tank. seems pretty chill for a betta, he doesn't even flare to his own reflection, he just stares at it curiously. it was also kinda adorable watching him investigate the new plant and thermometer i put in his tank.

pic of Nathan: