JOLLY BISON

Thread: Orange Theory

Orange Theory

Has anyone been to Orange Theory? What was your experience like?

They seem to be popping up all over my state as Im seeing more and more people I know try it out. My trainer left my gym to go work at one haha. Im pretty sure they give a free trial pass so I might try it out.
    All hail the king.

Re: Orange Theory

Never been but there is one near me that for the longest time I assumed was a smoothie bar. Totally boggled my mind when I learned it wasn't lol

Yes I go to it. It is so expensive and I probably have to stop soon because of that lol but I really like it. I never got the heart rate monitor and would hold off on buying it if you do join. I think the workouts are just as good without it and I don’t really see the benefit of having one.

I have a coworker who goes religiously, she even got them to come to our school and we had a free month pass (I never used it). A woman from work who did go said she felt like it was a place people went when they were already super fit, wasn’t newbie friendly. The one who always goes likes it because she is super competitive and likes they show you everyone’s ranking. I’ve noticed people who go are like CrossFit people, cultish.

I went once with a friend, really enjoyed my workout but at the time there wasn't one close to me. Now there is, and maybe since I've stopped heavy lifting, I'll get into it once I deliver this baby and want to get my workouts back on.

My friend is into it and I went with her one time with her free pass and I hated it. The workout itself was good and motivating but I’ve never ever felt the need to add an element of competing with everyone around me to my gym workouts, it just felt really unnecessary. I’m more of a personal best type person so I just didn’t fit the vibe. Also it’s mega expensive, but I guess most classes are.
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

Okay I am super curious about this now. How does it work?

Wait, the whole idea is the compete with everyone around you? That sounds awful! They just opened a new one by me, it sounded intriguing but idk about the competition part. I'm pretty lazy, I don't need everyone to know that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Runnings View Post
    Wait, the whole idea is the compete with everyone around you? That sounds awful! They just opened a new one by me, it sounded intriguing but idk about the competition part. I'm pretty lazy, I don't need everyone to know that lol
    No, you don’t compete lol. I’m not really sure why people think that. My mom said that too and I don’t get it. You have the option to wear an arm band (I would say 3/4 people do) that keeps track of your heart rate and you’re supposed to try to keep it in the “orange” heart rate zone when you can. Supposedly the orange heart rate zone produces the highest after workout calorie burn. So they have tvs that show your heart rate, but it doesn’t show it by station or anything so you don’t even know who is who on the screen. So idk how it seems like a competition. Except maybe with yourself.

maybe it’s different at other studios but I go to three different ones and the trainers never say anything about who got the most calories or had the most time in orange and tbh the tv screens are ignored like 99% of the time. occasionally the trainer will say at the end “The class burned 10000 calories today, wow!” but that’s the only time I’ve heard the screens mentioned. and there’s no ranking of the class or anything. But I also don’t wear the armband so maybe if you wear it it feels like a competition but idk how unless you know every single persons screen name

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Drakken View Post
    Okay I am super curious about this now. How does it work?
    It’s basically a workout class that consists of a combination of running on treadmills, using a rower, and doing body weight/lighter weight stuff in a lifting area (no barbells or anything, just dumbbells). So during the running you can either power walk or run and they’ll have you do different things, like run easy for a minute and a half, then spring thirty seconds, etc or change the incline. You can wear a heart rate monitor to show how your heart rate is and they don’t recommend monitoring your heart rate during the weights section (no screen to show it in that area).

It is basically a HIIT (high intensity interval training) class. I like it because you rotate stations like every 14-20 minutes (depending on the size of the class sometimes there are three groups rotating or two). I also like the interval training on the treadmill because I get really bored when I do my own running workouts (although tbh I’ve been mostly power walking lately, but it still goes by quickly). It’s definitely not a replacement for people who are serious about weightlifting because they don’t tell you ahead of time what areas of the body you will be working that day, so you can’t develop a regular schedule. I always just screw around at the gym though so I like I can do some form of resistance training and I like that they put it together for you and I don’t have to think about it lol. I don’t like rowing because I am bad at it but it gives me the chance to work on it plus I usually go a little slower on the rower and rest from the other sections.

They try to sell you a heart rate monitor but I think it’s useless because I work as hard in the class as I can anyway, so I don’t think seeing my heart rate would change that but a lot of people in my classes do wear them.

The HIIT style workouts are becoming really popular right now so some other brands are opening up too. It’s good to do like two to three days a week and mix it in with other exercise like actual weightlifting or lower intensity cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    No, you don’t compete lol. I’m not really sure why people think that. My mom said that too and I don’t get it. You have the option to wear an arm band (I would say 3/4 people do) that keeps track of your heart rate and you’re supposed to try to keep it in the “orange” heart rate zone when you can. Supposedly the orange heart rate zone produces the highest after workout calorie burn. So they have tvs that show your heart rate, but it doesn’t show it by station or anything so you don’t even know who is who on the screen. So idk how it seems like a competition. Except maybe with yourself.

maybe it’s different at other studios but I go to three different ones and the trainers never say anything about who got the most calories or had the most time in orange and tbh the tv screens are ignored like 99% of the time. occasionally the trainer will say at the end “The class burned 10000 calories today, wow!” but that’s the only time I’ve heard the screens mentioned. and there’s no ranking of the class or anything. But I also don’t wear the armband so maybe if you wear it it feels like a competition but idk how unless you know every single persons screen name
    The trainer at the class I went to was definitely into the competitive motivation thing, not pointing specific people out but calling out the outliers (both good and bad) and who has splat points and such. It’s not like everyone in the class was going super hard at trying to compete but I’m just not big on that intense group vibe
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

I had a free weekly pass for Orange Theory about a year or two ago. It was a good workout as it follows HIIT & Zone Theory, but the membership prices are exorbitant. I could never find the prices anywhere online but they gave me their price sheet after my trial. Might be different for other locations but it was about $145 per month for the lowest plan near me. :/

If you are interested in Zone Theory I would look into the Garmin, Strava or Pear app. They all offer zone based training plans all you need are headphones and a heart rate monitor. The Nike Run Club and Nike Train Club app also offers adaptive coaching programs but its not using zone training.

Zone training is extremely useful to help you understand your bodys effort and pace. By training in specified efforts you can help maximize your efficiency and health gains. I started using zone training (with the Pear app) when training for my first half marathon in 2013. I found it extremely beneficial and would recommend it to anyone. There are a lot of great apps than can help you achieve it without overpaying a gym for the same concept.