JOLLY BISON

Thread: san francisco

san francisco

i'm visiting in a few weeks for my birthday and for pride and looking for recommendations on what to do. i'm going with my sister. we are staying in an airbnb in south san francisco. we will be there 6 days. any ideas?

Re: san francisco

Pier 39 / The Embarcadero is my favorite touristy spot in the city. On Sunday's there is an open market right off the train station that is really cool.

If you keep going up the northern coast you'll get to Crissy Field which has the easiest parking and one of the best views of the Golden Gate IMO. Do NOT walk across the bridge. Not worth it and it's way too long.

If you go further west from Crissy Field there's Land's End and the Legion of Honor (art museum) which have amazing views and some short walking trails. Sutro Baths is really beautiful. If you're already in West SF, there's Ocean Beach on the west side. Also if you have the time, Cinderella's Bakery is one of my favorite spots.

Also around there is Golden Gate Park which is awesome, and also has some museums inside of it.

You might not have time and it is a little pricey but visiting Alcatraz is really really cool.

For food definitely have Chinese and Mexican. Taqueria El Farolito was one of our go-tos.

For CalTrain you can get a clipper card which you just put money on and swipe, don't buy one day passes or w/e.

Other notes - yes SF is pretty dirty and has a lot of homeless people. Try to avoid the Tenderloin. When you're on public transit - especially BART! - keep a close grasp on your phone and purse.
    I am the ruler of all Saiyans! Even you!

My favorite thing in SF when I went was SFMoma. I am not normally very into modern art museums, but they had a lot of lichtensteins I had never seen and a big diebenkorn collection. Also really loved Musée Mécanique down on fisherman's wharf, a super weird 20th century penny arcade where you can pay 25 cents to look at 'what every wife should do if she wants to keep a husband' or to 'see how beautiful this lamp is when lit' lol. Alcatraz, IMO, wasn't worth the hype. The 'tour' is just a headset attached to an MP3 player and the whole, 'let's tour a place where people were held captive' thing as an idea is just...exploitative? weird? uncomfortable?

I agree with a lot of Vegeta’s recs and I also second visiting SF Moma. If you’re looking for a trendy restaurant you should check out Nopa, it is a bit pricey though.

If you have a rental car then Battery Soencer which is by the Marin Headlands is really cool. This location also has some amazing views.

I also recommend visiting the Presidio. Its really pretty and can be a nice place to walk. If you're a Disney fan they also have a Disney Museum there as well.

Go to burger King and get the beyond Whopper and then let me know how it is!

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorSnapShots View Post
    I agree with a lot of Vegeta’s recs and I also second visiting SF Moma. If you’re looking for a trendy restaurant you should check out Nopa, it is a bit pricey though.

If you have a rental car then Battery Soencer which is by the Marin Headlands is really cool. This location also has some amazing views.

I also recommend visiting the Presidio. Its really pretty and can be a nice place to walk. If you're a Disney fan they also have a Disney Museum there as well.
    Ooooo yeah if you have a car Marin is beautiful! I recommend the scenic overlook on Mt. Tamalpais. I do not necessarily recommend Muir woods only because it gets really crowded and traffic-y there.

Also if you have the time, Alice's Restaurant on Skyline in Woodside is up in the Santa Cruz mountains with the redwoods. And the burgers are amazing! But that's like, 45 min south of the city, and there's not much else to look at on the Peninsula unless you're interested in the Google HQ or Stanford campus. If you head west from Skyline it's an amazingly beautiful drive and pops you out at the beach at Pescadero,

Honestly SF is only 7x7 miles so you can knock out most of the big touristy stuff in the actual city in 3-4 days I'd say.

Man, typing this all out makes me miss home

Why avoid Tenderloin? I was looking at a hostel that's in/near that area.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Why avoid Tenderloin? I was looking at a hostel that's in/near that area.
    It's one of the few places left in the city that's actually dangerous. It's dirty and has a lot of homeless people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Drakken View Post
    Go to burger King and get the beyond Whopper and then let me know how it is!
    haha good idea! i've been wanting to try one out!! i asked twitter followers for vegan restaurant recommendations so i am set there.

thank you all for the suggestions! i'm getting excited for it! and yeah alcatraz i dont know if i'm interested in it or not, like it seems neat but also shitty that it's such a tourist attraction.

are there any beaches that are decent or is the water always freezing and not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
    haha good idea! i've been wanting to try one out!! i asked twitter followers for vegan restaurant recommendations so i am set there.

thank you all for the suggestions! i'm getting excited for it! and yeah alcatraz i dont know if i'm interested in it or not, like it seems neat but also shitty that it's such a tourist attraction.

are there any beaches that are decent or is the water always freezing and not worth it?
    I mean... I thought the tour was cool also there's a bunch of flowers, and a nice view of the city. But yes, Alcatraz is very optional.

Yes the water WILL be freezing, so I'd say not worth it to trek out.

Final edit - wanted to clarify that clipper cards work on BART/MUNI and Caltrain and all the buses that run in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I mean... I thought the tour was cool also there's a bunch of flowers, and a nice view of the city. But yes, Alcatraz is very optional.

Yes the water WILL be freezing, so I'd say not worth it to trek out.

Final edit - wanted to clarify that clipper cards work on BART/MUNI and Caltrain and all the buses that run in the city.
    That's true! it is a nice view of the city and there are a lot of flowers and birds on the island. When I went, it was really cold (March) and rain started coming down in buckets as we were waiting for the boat back so that might have uh colored my perception lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
    The Pacific Ocean is always cold it doesn't warm up quite like the Atlantic. However on a hot day it can still be fairly refreshing!

If you want to go to a beach it may be worth taking a ferry to Angel Island. Otherwise if you have a car definitely drive down to Half Moon Bay. The town is super cute and they have some great beaches.