JOLLY BISON

Thread: Running

Running

I want to get into running. I have done a couple of 5Kís but donít run consistently now and they were really slow (>30 min). Unfortunately I tend to get bored quickly. How do I find a program to follow? There is a race in my neighborhood I want to sign up for. Itís a 5K or half but think Iíd do the 5k (donít think Iíd be able to train for a half). How much would I have to run to get it under 30 minutes?

Re: Running

As to how long it would take to train for a sub 30min 5K really depends from person to person. Itís not really possible to estimate.

I would look into apps like Garmin, Pear or Strava which have training plans & ďliveĒ coaching that utilizes zone training and are heart rate based.

Doing a mixture of slow easy runs, hill runs and short speed interval runs on a track will help improve your speed.

Secondly have you looked into whether there are any local running groups? Iíve been running on my own for a few years but this spring I joined a running group. I like the camaraderie and the support I get. I also feel like when running with a group that Iím more likely to comfortably (& safely) push myself whereas sometimes when I run alone I don't hold myself as accountable. I still do several runs by myself during the week outside my running group.

I would focus first on training for a 5K. If you don't beat sub-30 then sign up for another 5K & just keep training. If after you break sub 30 and you want something more challenging try training for a 10K next.

Also note as you increase your distance your time generally tends to drop. For example I tend to run roughly a 9-9:30 min mile pace for 5Ks but my Half Marathon pace is about 11-11:30 min per mile. Iím always trying to improve my speed though and it makes me happy to set a PR (personal record) at a race.

I'm a reeeeeaally slow runner but I got my 5k to 28-29 minutes briefly a couple of years ago by running 3-4 times a week and doing speed intervals. Like the same as starting running where you alternate walking/running, but your switch between running an easy pace and doing faster (but not going all out) intervals. Probably wasn't the most efficient plan but I think it only took me a month or so to get it down from like 35 minutes once I started focusing on it.

The past few months I can only very slowly jog or I get a cramp

There are running groups but they seem to mostly train for halfís.

I donít have a fitness watch / Fitbit. Do you recommend one?

I get bored so easily while running. Any recs on that?

My running group technically has a training plan that trains for a half & a marathon but there are definitely people in it who are trying to get more fit or train for a 5K / 10K.

With that being said one of my local sport runs holds an informal fun run every week and a lot of the same people go week after week. Maybe look around for those?

I had a Fitbit Alta for several years but it didn't have built in heart rate monitoring. I used to run with a chest strap but it died this past fall.

Just last week I decided to replace my alta with a Garmin Forerunner 245. Although I was contemplating the 45s for awhile before ultimately settling on the 245. If you want a Fitbit then I think the Charge 3 would be the best value.

On getting bored easily there are a couple of ideas. I generally try to run without music so I can focus on my surroundings. Allows me to appreciate whats going on around me as well as clear my head.

For track or treadmill runs I will run with music. The Nike+ app lets you setup Power Songs. So if youíre listening to a playlist and youíre feeling yourself dragging or get bored you can activate the power song mode. You can also have Nike post to your Facebook page on your behalf that youíre running. Anyone who likes it during your run will appear as audio cheers on your end which can sometimes be fun.

I also recommend keeping your types of run diverse during the week. Maybe have one hill run, maybe one day at the track do speed intervals, another day do a timed run (like I will run for X minutes) and then another day do a milage based run (I will run X miles). Doing different types of run will help improve your heart rate and running efficiency, but it also helps keep the runs diverse. You could even try mixing up which runs you run with music and which ones without.

Someone in my running group likes to listen to podcasts (instead of music) while they run! So maybe give that a try too!

I started running using the Couch to 5k app (C25k), and that helped get me started, but once I got the hang of things, i went off on my own running for as long as I possibly could and doing fast walk intervals when necessary (only for a couple minutes). Eventually I was able to get good distances. I also focused on distance first and then worked more on speed, which is advice my marathon running friend gave me. I also was really consistent about running. I ran every other day pretty much no matter what, even if it wasn't a "good" run.

Get good running shoes, and then be consistent. Those are the two things that really helped me. Also staying super hydrated. Dehydrated runs are the worst.

As for boredom, I would run on a treadmill at the gym because running outside was really scary to me since a few women had been attacked on the running trails outside my apartment. I would watch TV shoes, infomercials, or TV movies to keep me occupied, or I'd listen to music and constantly update my playlist so it stayed interesting.

I used to use Zombies, Run! when I pretended to try and run. It's like a game while you're running, and I think you can still listen to music when it's not active. Running is still horrible and boring, but it was...better with the game. And slightly scary sometimes.

i got to a 25 min 5k (years ago lol no longer) using couch to 5k. you do have to push yourself though, nothing is gonna force you to run fast. i found blasting very high rpm music helped me. i like running up to a point. i tried getting to regular 10k runs but i find it gets too boring after 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldous Huxley View Post
    I also focused on distance first and then worked more on speed, which is advice my marathon running friend gave me.
    yeah this. i ran dozens of 45 min 5ks before i got anywhere near 25.

I also was really consistent about running. I ran every other day pretty much no matter what, even if it wasn't a "good" run.
    this is good advice also. just keep doing it even when you think you'll suck. even if you're tired or hungover or a bit sick, just try to run for at least 20-30 mins

Yeah I used Zombies Run! I realized yesterday what frustrates me is I think I can do more than I can. I used to be able to do 2-3 miles but have taken a long break. Iíll just start over the C25K and accept that thatís what I need to do. Good to hear others think it gets boring after a while. I just want a cardio option I can do anywhere.

When you say bored, are you in physical discomfort while being bored? I think that bored feeling goes away for a lot of people once running becomes truly easy (which takes a while).

When I first started running was painful, I thought I hated it, and I also thought it was boring. As I got better at it to the point where (slow paced) runs really did feel truly easy, it became something that was very relaxing and basically me time. Now sometimes I use it to think about things but more often than not my mind just kind of blanks out. Sometimes I'll listen to podcasts or focus on music, but usually I just let my mind blank. The mental aspect is like anything else - it improves with practice.

Have you tried listening to podcasts to get you through the initial painful, boring, suckish phase? Different things work for different people though. In the very beginning I found that I actually needed 0 music or distraction so I could focus on regulating my breathing.

Anyways, the best advice that most new people don't follow to their detriment is to run way slower than you are capable of, which will ultimately allow you to run more miles. It's hard to force yourself to run that slowly at first but it is extremely useful and productive. Building a foundational aerobic base is the most important thing in the early stage. It's way better to run more miles than to run fewer faster miles. Running more miles is the most important thing and will bring your 5k time down fairly quickly without any speedwork (that part comes later when you want to improve from a say 24 min 5k).just build up more slow miles over the weeks. There are plenty of plans online that will help you increase your miles each week in a sustainable way.

I run way slower on normal (non-workout) runs than I used to even though I am much faster now. When I was running a marathon over 30 minutes slower I was running my "easy" runs at least 30 seconds per mile faster than I do now. I always felt tired and wasn't able to really get over 42-45 miles without feeling little pains and the beginnings of injuries. Now I run super slow most days and hammer my workouts (my 5k time is under 21 minutes and I'm shooting for a marathon pace of about 7:50 min/mile but I regularly run 9:00min - 9:15 miles for easy every day running and I will run 9:30-9:45 for recovery runs the days after hard workouts). I'm able to run way more miles a week that way.

I decided to try listening to a podcast during one of my easy runs the other day. I think it helped me maintain my easy pace. I stayed steady without speeding up. Music can be really motivating to listen to when running but I do sometimes find myself trying to match the tempo of song. I think I will try running with podcasts again in the future especially if Iím trying to maintain an easy pace.

Are your squats worse the day after a run? I can usually squat around 100 lb for 5x5 but I ran in the evening and tried squatting the next morning and it felt super bad. I ended up just doing a light set at 65 lb and even that made my knee weird.

Quote Originally Posted by caiomn View Post
    Are your squats worse the day after a run? I can usually squat around 100 lb for 5x5 but I ran in the evening and tried squatting the next morning and it felt super bad. I ended up just doing a light set at 65 lb and even that made my knee weird.
    I donít weight lift, I mostly do ladder building body weight exercises or use weight machines. On Saturdays I have my long runs so generally I try to take a recovery day on Sundays (usually a walk or hike).

I used to do my weight exercises on Tuesdays but now that Iím doing hill runs on Mondays and track (speed) runs on Wednesday we will see if I change to a different day. Generally I find Iím tired running the day after weight exercises more than being tired for weights after a day running. It might be Iím more conditioned at running that it doesn't impact me as much, whereas Iím not as conditioned for weights so that does require more recovery on my part.

Iím sure over time it will get better / easier though for you!