JOLLY BISON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's the most adventurous food you've eaten?

what's the most adventurous food you've eaten?

and did you like it

Re: what's the most adventurous food you've eaten?

There’s some things that’s normal for my family (turtle, rabbit, alligator, possum, raccoon) that others find odd, but are pretty normal to me. So that.

I do love escargot.

Idk probably congealed blood. Not a fan, really. I also tried all the flavors in the Jones soda thanksgiving pack. It was maybe the most disgusting thing of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
    There’s some things that’s normal for my family (turtle, rabbit, alligator, possum, raccoon) that others find odd, but are pretty normal to me. So that.

I do love escargot.
    do you live in some backwater rural southern town

does someone in your immediate family play a banjo

the stuff i can think of for me:
    - i love raw oysters. idk if its adventurous but at one point of my life i would've thought so
    - snails (escargot i guess? but i had it in malta, not france): i thought they tasted ok but i couldn't get over the fact they were snails
    - blood pudding: didn't even realize it was blood til much later. it was ok, bit grainy
    - kangaroo: palatable but dry
    - beef tartar: not a fan. i don't like the texture of raw meat
    - kimchi: i don't think its that adventurous cuz i love everything pickled, but it seems like a lot of people think its weird
    - blue cheese: another favorite i don't find that weird but seems contentious
    - squid

i'll eat pretty much anything but i draw the line at bugs and any animal products that were fermented/rotted for a lot time. eg. century egg, surstromming, hakarl. ok i might try it but i'd have to be really drunk.

fun fact: a lot of non-western countries find cheese absolutely revolting

Crickets. They taste like eating a sunflower seed with the shell on.
    Alligator. It didn't have much of a flavor to me. It was very fresh. I'd say of all the meats I've ever tried, I like alligator best. That being said, I don't love the taste of meat.
    Beef tartar. I didn't like it but I can see why some people would, especially in the states where burgers aren't always served well done.
    Goat. I found it dry and chewy.
    Ostrich. It wasn't bad. I can't compare it to anything though. Very interesting texture

Haggis. Mystery meat on a stick from a streetvstall I'm beijing ol

Congealed blood was probably the weirdest thing I have eaten. I don’t personally think many of the foods listed are weird, just divisive.

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    fun fact: a lot of non-western countries find cheese absolutely revolting
    Interesting, I hadn’t heard of this. Where did you hear it?

Rattlesnake - I probably could have had it prepared better but it was pretty gross
    Blood sausage - no no no no no no no
    Alligator isn't weird here but I guess it is elsewhere. It's delicious.

Also this isn't weird, but when I was in Greece I ordered a burger and it definitely wasn't beef. I'm guessing lamb? If so, it was the first time I'd had it and I was not expecting it lol. It was the best burger I've ever had.

I’ve eaten crickets. They were not good, way too crunchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by caiomn View Post
    Interesting, I hadn’t heard of this. Where did you hear it?
    A few of my Chinese friends think cheese is nasty and don’t understand why we’re so obsessed with it, but they also conceded they just didn’t grow up eating anything that was at all cheese-like and are also lactose intolerant lol
    we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night

Alligator (really good), crickets (too crunchy), and kimchi (don’t like pickled things though)
    All hail the king.

Everyone said I'd hate blood sausage when I went to Ireland and I fucking loved it.

As a kid I had venison (deer) which I thought was salami. So I guess I was accidentally adventurous.

Also I donít consider kimchi unusual as it seems super common here! I like some kimchi but it really depends what veggies were pickles & fermented. I think kimchi tastes kind of like a spicy sauerkraut.

Blue cheese is amazing. I will always love it, but I also get itís a very specific flavor. Thereís no in between where itís ďokayĒ, I think either youíre all in or all out with it. Hah.

I feel like I donít venture out a ton, primarily because I donít eat a lot of meat products so that limits venturing. I have had a whole baby octopus before and was not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by lolz@yourface View Post
    do you live in some backwater rural southern town

does someone in your immediate family play a banjo
    lmfao. No to both. My great uncle cooks it. My grandmother was born to a single mom, poor, biracial, and grew up in the very racist New Orleans 30s. They ate what they could get. He still cooks it. I've never cooked any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Slip View Post
    Blue cheese is amazing. I will always love it, but I also get it’s a very specific flavor. There’s no in between where it’s “okay”, I think either you’re all in or all out with it. Hah.

I feel like I don’t venture out a ton, primarily because I don’t eat a lot of meat products so that limits venturing. I have had a whole baby octopus before and was not a fan.
    Blue cheese is WONDERFUL! That and goat cheese are both distinctive though. The suctions on octopus and squid freak me out.

• Snails
    • Raw Oysters
    • Foie Gras
    • Chicken Liver
    • Squid

I was a vegetarian for 26+ years and the first meat I tried was foie gras. It's still my favorite. I've tried a lot of other things since, still not really into meat as a main item. Just seems like too much to me. I also don't like beef, pork, or chicken lol, love all of the above tho. My family thinks I am nuts.

Raw oysters taste like a mouth full of ocean. It was a neat experience but I wouldn't want to try them again. Fried oysters though, those I could easily snack on