JOLLY BISON

Thread: If you’re waiting around for a table, is it rude to tell someone to leave?

If you’re waiting around for a table, is it rude to tell someone to leave?

Assuming the person seems to be “done” with their meal or drink or whatever. Inspired by a tweet I saw from a woman observing someone else do this. On the flip side, do you try to finish your meal/drink quickly if other people seem to be waiting or do you believe you should be able to take your time?

Re: If you’re waiting around for a table, is it rude to tell someone to leave?

Yes, it is rude to ask someone to leave their table even when they are done
    All hail the king.

I’ve had people ask me for my table several times when I’m at cafes alone even when I’m not done and there’s clearly food/a drink in front of me, sitting at the smallest table in the place, and there’s no other tables. People are just entitled lol

I think it is impolite, you don’t know why someone is there. Maybe they finished their coffee but their car is broken down and their ride won't be there for another hour or two. Maybe someone has showed up for a date early or has been stood up. Maybe their house isn’t air conditioned and its a hot day.

There are so many reasons someone may be lingering at their table. Asking them to vacate could be adding onto an already emotional day for that person.

In my opinion only the establishment should be the one to ask a patron to vacate.

Yes lol.

That’s never happened to me, and I’d never ask someone to do that. It’s just rude.

yes very rude

definitey rude.

once i was at this busy restaurant and sitting at the bar with a few friends. we were finishing up and a few people came up behind us, crowding around us i think trying to get us to hurry and this was also very rude even though they didnt tell us to leave. my space was definitely invaded and i let them know that.

If someone asked me to leave, even if I was completely done, I would stay just because that’s so damn rude and you would not be getting what you want. Passive aggressiveee as hell, and I don’t even care. Hah.

I'm trying to think of a situation where this would be ok, but I'm really struggling to think of something. If the person was disabled and clearly needed to the space, but anything else... Idk.

My husband and I were on vacation this summer and had reservations at a restaurant. They sat us down at a 3 person table and then a few minutes later apologized and said they were waiting for the 2 person table to open up behind us, and when it was open they would move us. No big deal to us, we said sure no problem. There were 2 girls behind us who were clearly staying way past when they had finished eating to try and watch the sunset. So we have a drink and order our food and then this same waiter came up to us and was like yeah, I really need you to leave no because someone has a reservation for this table. My husband was like oh yeah sure we'll hurry up, and I was like umm??? We haven't even gotten our food yet. I guess he forgot that it was the other table that was staying too long and tried to kick us out lol. I thought that was quite rude tbh and all he said was oh oops sorry.

^i think if you overstay your reservation the restaurant is in their right to ask you to leave, but they should make sure they ha e the right table first...