JOLLY BISON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal number of buttons unbuttoned on a men's dress shirt

Ideal number of buttons unbuttoned on a men's dress shirt

lol. Got into a discussion about this over the weekend. What's the ideal amount of buttons left open at the top provided its a casual situation?

I think mid chest is ideal, like this as long as its more subtle and not thrown really far open into a v-neck, more like a slit shape. I think it should be three undone or buttoned all of the way to the top. All of the way to the top for cold months and three down for super hot months.

Re: Ideal number of buttons unbuttoned on a men's dress shirt

What if the guy has mass amounts of chest hair?

I think just one or two, like this
    http://www.marshalltaylor.ca/Hosted_Images/bondtux.jpg

This even seems like borderline too much for my taste
    http://www.fashion-lifestyle.net/ima...1_Tom-Ford.jpg

I agree with one or two unbuttoned. Midchest is usually way too much imo, especially if there's chest hair popping out... I feel like we're at the disco then lol.

In this hypothetical I am assuming the dude looks like whatever you picture a good looking guy to look like, so if you don't like chest hair, he doesn't have any, if you do, he has the amount your into, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle.pirate View Post
    In this hypothetical I am assuming the dude looks like whatever you picture a good looking guy to look like, so if you don't like chest hair, he doesn't have any, if you do, he has the amount your into, etc.
    In that case, no buttons, fully naked : D

Two buttons at the most. Any more is super feminine looking.

Quote Originally Posted by joy View Post
    Two buttons at the most. Any more is super feminine looking.
    Yeah this. Or hipster. Which makes them look feminine anyways.

What's wrong with looking feminine?

Quote Originally Posted by MorePoo View Post
    I like my guys to look manly.

Quote Originally Posted by MorePoo View Post
    It just makes it sound though like 'feminine' characteristics of fashion are for some reason bad for men to wear which makes it out like being feminine looking is bad. There is that iggy pop quote that is something along the lines of, "I don't feel ashamed to wear a dress because I don't think there is anything shameful about being a women" and I think this fits into that category. Obvs I don't think you directly said that, I am just pointing out that I think its kind of implicit in the idea that certain clothing isn't for men.

I also think there is something problematic with the statement, "I like masculine men," but now this is getting more serious then I wanted lol oops. It just goes along with the idea that saying a man is feminine is somehow supposed to be insulting when there is nothing wrong about being feminine in the first place.

Girls who like “boy” things are often seen as cool, sassy, even smart. Boys who like “girly” stuff, though, are not cool- perfect examples is how many girls (on here and otherwise) take pride in being 'one of the boys' or 'being a tom boy' and you don't see any dudes taking in pride in having enjoyed playing with kitchen sets as children.
    Last edited by popsicle.pirate; June 13th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Two. More than that looks Italian.

2-3 def. anymore is too much, any less is not enough.
    Formally Dye-It

All the pictures posted seem appropriate. I think it also depends on the place of casualness. Like a beach it can be all the way undone, or mid chest. Even some hot guys can get away with showing little pecs at a party or something, girls like cleavage too! But just like a casual outing to dinner or something then a button or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunt View Post
    Two. More than that looks Italian.
    But this makes it sound though like 'Italian' fashions are bad for men to wear, which makes it sound like being Italian-looking is bad. There's an Iggy Pop quote that goes something like, "I don't feel ashamed to wear a pizza, because I don't think there is anything shameful about being an Italian," and I think this fits into that category. Obviously I don't think you said that explicitly, I'm just pointing out that I think it's kind of implicit in the idea that certain clothing isn't for men.

(popsicle you know I love you and you're right)

...K. It wasn't a comment on feminist social theory, it was a comment on how many unbuttoned buttons I think look good on a men's dress shirt. I'm super feminine and I don't care if guys are super feminine. It's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    But this makes it sound though like 'Italian' fashions are bad for men to wear, which makes it sound like being Italian-looking is bad. There's an Iggy Pop quote that goes something like, "I don't feel ashamed to wear a pizza, because I don't think there is anything shameful about being an Italian," and I think this fits into that category. Obviously I don't think you said that explicitly, I'm just pointing out that I think it's kind of implicit in the idea that certain clothing isn't for men.

(popsicle you know I love you and you're right)
    Quote Originally Posted by joy View Post
    ...K. It wasn't a comment on feminist social theory, it was a comment on how many unbuttoned buttons I think look good on a men's dress shirt. I'm super feminine and I don't care if guys are super feminine. It's cool.
    You guys are right. Everyone should wear pizza dresses.

EDIT: Omg its real: http://www.adelle.com.au/wp-content/...izza-dress.jpg

2 probably.

I think 2 is perfect.

I think any more than 1 looks cheesy lol.
    Who gives a fuck about an oxford comma?

Dear, God. Current dude's chest hair is super sexy. I want them all unbuttoned.